Day 5 - Where is Coach?
Coach was not to be found today. We are not really sure what happened to him so as lowly disciples we were lost without his leadership. That being the case what started out as a stop to do some bidness (finally the market went the way I was hoping) turned into an early lunch. I now have the Dirk appetite. I can’t drink enough water or eat enough food. I am always hungry.
Hopefully this will shrink the stomach and get me to losing more poundage.
The sky of Leadville was gloomy all day with the hail starting about 1:00. There was the though about riding the Mineral belt trail. (12 miles around Leadville to see old holes in the ground) but without coach, we were not sure how this would impact our training.
After market close the thought was to find coach and move the training camp North to be behind the incoming front. It is a good theory. But with most theories this one did not come to pass. The move north went though Winter park that boasts the mtn bike capital of the US with 600 miles of trails. The vibe was not there since there was a Harley fest in town. On to Grand Lake. I stayed here on a Grandma/cousin family trip when I was 4 or something. I was here about 10 years ago when living in Vail. Woah! This place has changed. Basically the whole place is built up. Nice houses all around the lake. I think it is the Conroe of Boulder/Denver. Bad vibe here too. Just too many people/commercialized yada yada yada. Must move on.
On to Rocky Mountain National Park where the views are stunning, when not hidden by clouds. Pretty much the whole place was socked in. There were some really cool wind blown trees at top. You know the wind blows when pine trees only have one side of limbs. I am betting brrrr rabbit cold up here in the winter time. Temp up top was down to 38 degrees. Coach says we are going to try the Old Fall River Road in the morning, if the clouds clear which they don’t appear to be.
There was a huge traffic jam for people stopping to see a couple of elk. Far side mode = on: “Hey Joe is the show almost over” “Fred another 15 minutes and we can go” “Ok cause we sure are stopping a lot of cars” Far side mode = off.
Came down into Estes Park. Huge bad tourist vibe in this town. Found Devils Gluch Road. Wowo Gary would have a field day here. This place was sooo cool. There are enough bouldering and other problems to work he could spend a life time here. Way cool scenery. Tight, rocky, rough that I remember from coming up here when I was a small child.
Stats
Miles = 0
Lessons Learned
Thought for the day: It sure does get dark when the clouds are around and the sun goes down.
Best “hey that may come in useful” for the trip purchase. Nylon fishing shirt and shorts at wally world. They dry fast, wash fast and are comfy to wear.
Best question asked the ranger while buying another San Isabel Forest map because I thought I can’t find my other one: “Are there bears in the woods?” He thought I was serious. “Oh yes but they really won’t bother you
Hopefully this will shrink the stomach and get me to losing more poundage.
The sky of Leadville was gloomy all day with the hail starting about 1:00. There was the though about riding the Mineral belt trail. (12 miles around Leadville to see old holes in the ground) but without coach, we were not sure how this would impact our training.
After market close the thought was to find coach and move the training camp North to be behind the incoming front. It is a good theory. But with most theories this one did not come to pass. The move north went though Winter park that boasts the mtn bike capital of the US with 600 miles of trails. The vibe was not there since there was a Harley fest in town. On to Grand Lake. I stayed here on a Grandma/cousin family trip when I was 4 or something. I was here about 10 years ago when living in Vail. Woah! This place has changed. Basically the whole place is built up. Nice houses all around the lake. I think it is the Conroe of Boulder/Denver. Bad vibe here too. Just too many people/commercialized yada yada yada. Must move on.
On to Rocky Mountain National Park where the views are stunning, when not hidden by clouds. Pretty much the whole place was socked in. There were some really cool wind blown trees at top. You know the wind blows when pine trees only have one side of limbs. I am betting brrrr rabbit cold up here in the winter time. Temp up top was down to 38 degrees. Coach says we are going to try the Old Fall River Road in the morning, if the clouds clear which they don’t appear to be.
There was a huge traffic jam for people stopping to see a couple of elk. Far side mode = on: “Hey Joe is the show almost over” “Fred another 15 minutes and we can go” “Ok cause we sure are stopping a lot of cars” Far side mode = off.
Came down into Estes Park. Huge bad tourist vibe in this town. Found Devils Gluch Road. Wowo Gary would have a field day here. This place was sooo cool. There are enough bouldering and other problems to work he could spend a life time here. Way cool scenery. Tight, rocky, rough that I remember from coming up here when I was a small child.
Stats
Miles = 0
Lessons Learned
Thought for the day: It sure does get dark when the clouds are around and the sun goes down.
Best “hey that may come in useful” for the trip purchase. Nylon fishing shirt and shorts at wally world. They dry fast, wash fast and are comfy to wear.
Best question asked the ranger while buying another San Isabel Forest map because I thought I can’t find my other one: “Are there bears in the woods?” He thought I was serious. “Oh yes but they really won’t bother you

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home